Steve Winter from Matatiro Solutions will be presenting the session “Explore cURL for FileMaker” at the upcoming FileMaker Developer Conference to be held in Phoenix from the 24th to the 27th of July.
FileMaker’s robust functionality can be supplemented with a Web Service (or API) to help solve pretty much any task. But sometimes accessing those APIs through http(s) doesn’t provide the flexibility needed. One example of this is if you need to send custom authentication headers or to use a protocol other than HTTP.
In this session, you’ll begin to explore cURL for FileMaker. Developers in other ecosystems have long been able to call on the power of cURL and you’ll learn how to make it work for you.
- Accessing external APIs using InsertFromURL and cURL parameters
- How and why to access protocols other than HTTP with cURL
- Implementing simple sync using cURL and the FileMaker REST API
- What OAuth is, why it matters, and how to make it work in FileMaker
Resources for the session are attached so that attendees may ‘follow along’ in the demo file.
- INN004 Demo file.fmp12.zip is the main file I used on my laptop
- INN004 Mobile.fmp12.zip is the file I should have used on my phone (I’d opened the wrong one!). Use the layout Phone > Contact details. Tap the traffic lights to sync. Put a file in the container and select Send to Dropbox to see the Dropbox upload functionality work.
- INN004.pdf are the slides.
- APISourceCode.zip is the PHP source code for the API used in the first demo, and for signing the JWT for Google integration